What Is an STD?
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), also known as sexually transmitted infections (STIs), are infections that are spread by sexual contact. Some of these infections may also be spread from a pregnant woman to her baby during the pregnancy or delivery. Exposure to an STD can occur anytime a person has sex or close physical contact that involves genitals, the mouth or the rectum of another person.
- Sacramento County (2018) has the fifth highest rate of Gonorrhea in the state, and the fourth highest rate of Chlamydia in the state3.
- Sacramento County has the eleventh highest rate of Syphilis in the state. Sacramento County has shown a sharp increase in Syphilis cases in recent years3.
- STDs affect both men and women, and two-thirds of all STDs occur in people younger than 254.
- About 1 in 4 teen girls gets an STD within one year of becoming sexually active5.
- Some STDs can lead to long-term serious health problems, such as pelvic inflammatory disease, infertility and cervical cancer6.
- Some STDs also increase the risk of becoming infected with HIV7.
- STDs are serious illnesses that require treatment. Some STDs, like AIDS, cannot be cured and can be deadly8.
3California Department of Public Health https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/STD-Data.aspx
5Web MD; American Social Health Organization
This information is intended for educational purposes only and should not be considered professional medical advice. We do not perform abortion services.
Sac Valley Pregnancy Clinic welcomes everyone needing our free services.
Insurance is NOT required for our services.
If you are in need of coverage for you or your family, Covered California can be accessed through this link.
Sacramento Life Center has earned accreditation by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC), the leader in ambulatory health care accreditation. This accreditation distinguishes Sacramento Life Center nationwide as a provider of excellent, high-quality, reliable care in an environment that promotes patient safety and exceptional services.